Montgomery County Municipal Court

James D. Piergies, Presiding and Administrative Judge - Western Division

William C. Cox, Judge - Eastern Division

Mike Foley, Clerk of Courts

Western Division

Cities: Trotwood and Brookville
Townships: Clay, Jackson, Jefferson and Perry
Villages: New Lebanon, Phillipsburg, Farmersville and Verona


875 E Main St
Trotwood, OH 45426
Click for Directions


Fax: 937-854-0244


8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Closed Saturdays, Sundays and National Holidays

Traffic and Criminal Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

How much will my speeding ticket cost?

The cost of a speeding ticket is as follows:

  • 1 - 10 over the speed limit: $140.00
  • 11 - 15 over the speed limit: $150.00
  • 16 - 20 over the speed limit: $160.00
  • 21 - 25 over the speed limit: $170.00
  • 26 and over the speed limit: Appearance Required

What methods can I use to pay for my traffic ticket?

  • You can pay for your traffic ticket with cash, money order, or personal check.
  • You may also pay by VISA, MasterCard, or Discover at the counter
  • You can also pay your traffic ticket through our Online Ticket Payment System

When is my payment due?

Your payment is due by the court date.

Can I use a payment plan?

Payment in full is expected by the court date. If you are unable to pay the balance in full at that time, you will be required to appear in court and make a Payment Agreement in person.

The following rules are used when making a Payment Agreement:

  • If your amount owed is less than or equal to $100, you will have one week to make payment in full.
  • If your amount owed is $100 to $250, you will be required to make 2 payments. Half of the amount owed will be due in 2 weeks and the remainder will be due 2 weeks later.
  • If your amount owed is greater than $250 you will be required to make a payment every 2 weeks for 8 weeks for a total of 4 payments.
If you violate the terms of the Payment Agreement, you may be subject to a penalty of the outstanding fines and/or court costs.

The penalties for violating a Payment Agreement may be any of the following:

  • A warrant for Contempt of Court
  • A license forfeiture
  • A registration block preventing you from renewing your plates or license

Who do I make the check or money order out to?

You may make the check or money order to the court where you were scheduled to appear:


Will I have to make a personal appearance for my traffic violation?

You will have to make a personal appearance if:

  • You have had two previous citations in the past year
  • You have been cited for more than one moving violation during the same incident.

What will happen if I fail to pay or appear on the assigned court date?

If you fail to pay or appear, a warrant for your arrest may be issued.

Do I need proof of insurance?

Yes. When you come to court you should bring your citation, drivers license and proof of insurance.

Where do I go to post a bond?

You may post a bond at the Court during Court hours. You may also post bond at the Police Department or at the County Jail.

How long is bond held?

Bond is returned upon the close of a case. When the bond is released, paperwork must be completed by the bond poster. Once this paperwork is completed, a check will be mailed to the bond poster usually within two business days.

How does video arraignment work?

Video arraignment is used when someone is arrested but is unable to post bond.

The prisoner is taken to the County Jail court room. A video conference system connects the Jail and the Court and the hearing is conducted using this video conference system. During this video hearing the Judge may set bond, accept pleas, impose sentence, or schedule future hearing dates.

How do I use the services of the Public Defender?

The Court will provide you with the address and phone number of the Public Defender. You must appear in person at the Public Defender's office where they will determine if you qualify for their services. Minor traffic and minor misdemeanor cases do not qualify for the Public Defender. You must be charged with an offense with a possible penalty of jail time.

You do not need an attorney on your first appearance if you plan to plead Not Guilty.

When can I file for an expungement?

You may file for an expungement of a criminal case one year after your conviction date. However, if your case was dismissed you do not need to wait a year from dismissal date to file for an expungement. You must also have no other violations on your record. Traffic records cannot be expunged. There is a $50 fee to file for an expungement.

If you would like to take additional steps to have your record removed from private companies who provide the information for private background checks, Montgomery County Clerk of Courts is partnering with the National Expungement Database Center (NEDC) to provide this service. There is a fee for this service payable to the NEDC. Visit their website for more information. Please note that Montgomery County Clerk of Courts is only providing this information as a resource for customers. Any questions or follow up on the outcome or effectiveness of this service must be directed to NEDC at 1-877-604-2164.

©2024 Copyright All Rights Reserved · Website designed by Montgomery County Clerk of Courts